Sunday 16 November 2008

Finishitis?

HUZZAH!  I've finished one of my wips!  (I know, I know... who'da thunk...!) So, without any further ado, may I present unto you my Verdant Glovelets!

 
cabled glovelets by meg white
madil yarns iceland in olive green

Woohoo!  Am I chuffed with these babies?!  I modified the pattern slightly from the Noro glovelets I made last week by doing only 6 of the 8 repeats to make up for using the chunkier yarn.  I also added a few more increases in the upper arm part to accommodate my tendency to cast-off a little on the tight side.

a decadent touch of pearl

I couldn't decide on the beading for the centre of the cables and tried out some black bugles, but they were too dark and got slightly lost in the shadows...  gold beads looks dreadfully tacky and I even contemplated gold sequins (but not for long).  I wasn't sure if the pearl beads would be a bit too big, but I think in the end it worked out.  I'm rather fond of the juxtaposition of the chunky, country cables and the refined look of the pearls. (Plastic though they be!)

silk purse? sow's ear?

And boy, are they warm!  I have enough of the yarn left to maybe make some kind of hat/beanie/whatever, but I'm not sure I'd add the pearls... then again... maybe I would... Watch this space! 

And keeping the mitten theme going, I began (yes, yes, even though I have contracted finishitis again I'm still no further in getting rid of the startitis...) some Endpaper Mitts from a marvellous (and muchly used) design by Eunny Jang.

pattern lurve: stained-glass endpapers
angels and elephants  4-ply sock in maisie
cheap black acrylic that does the job nicely

I've been wanting to do these gorgeous mitts for months, but the thought of the colour-work scared me off on more than one occasion. But when I did start, I knew what colour-scheme I wanted: black ironwork around variegated yarn to give a stained-glass effect.  I picked up enough courage the other evening to start these, and am quite pleased with the look of it!  I say 'the look of it' advisedly, because the inside resembles what can only be described as the aftermath of a yarn tornado.  Well, no, I may not actually be using an official 2-colour knitting technique... how did you guess?

But to alleviate the stress of untangling yarn and unpicking stitches I knitted-up these wee pretties:

bootees for baby r
saartje's bootees by saartje de bruijn

Baby R № 2 should be arriving any day now... in fact he's due tomorrow  eek - today.  He'll be (when he arrives) the second god-child of my DS and if he's anything like his big sister, he'll be absolutely adorable!  I can't wait to meet him at Christmas when I go home. 

But back to the endpapers... I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto...

6 comments:

Anonymous Monday 17 November 2008 at 00:44:00 GMT  

I love all of these projects! They are just gorgeous! I tried the cabled mitts for myself and I have to admit that I don't think I like them. The pattern is lovely. It's the style of thumb that I don't care for. I like a bit more coverage. I will have to mess with that once holiday knitting is done. But the endpaper mitts are very tempting too! I love the colors you've chosen!
I hope baby arrives safe and soon! You must post pictures of his little feet in those sweet booties!

Minding My Own Stitches Monday 17 November 2008 at 00:48:00 GMT  

The Endpaper mitts look fantastic. Can't wait to see them done!

sloth-knits Monday 17 November 2008 at 08:18:00 GMT  

The glovelets look fantastic with the pearls!

The bootees are cute, too. I look forward to seeing the finished Endpaper Mitts.

Library Secretary Monday 17 November 2008 at 21:57:00 GMT  

The booties are amazing. Mrs R will love them!!! You're very clever. ;-)

A South Park Republican Tuesday 18 November 2008 at 02:14:00 GMT  

Holy gorgeous glovelets!!

underdutchskies Wednesday 19 November 2008 at 17:48:00 GMT  

Hey I need some mitts like that for the office. Where I work it's just too damned cold! Great project.

Mair Bloag Weejits

Footerin' Aboot

Footerin' Aboot
Heh! I'm so funny!

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP