Sunday 24 August 2008

Unmasking the Stealth

My stealth objects are slowly being revealed... slowly...


. . . t o o   s l o w l y. . .


So, to assuage my thumb-twiddling, clock-watching and hum-hahing I have decided to reveal (drum-roll, please...) the Wire Treasure Chest.  Dun dun DUUUN!

 uh... the Wire Treasure Chest...

Okay, so it's a treasure chest. And it's made of wire. You can tell my naming capabilities have been stretched to the max on this one...


There are a couple hundred gold, silver and pearl beads and bugles adorning the the chest...


pearl necklace an optional extra


The front, back and lid are all 25 stitches wide and roughly 12/13 rows long. (Ah... one of the beauties of knitting with wire is that it can be manipulated to make everything look the same size! Jolly handy!)

arty-farty lid shot


The sides were roughly 15 stitches wide and 16 rows long and I attempted to mould the last couple of rows into an arch shape by doing a k2tog at the beginning and end of each row and I curved the lid to make the overall casket/chest shape.




After sewing all the pieces together, with the exception of adding the lid, I decided that the chest needed a little re-enforcing.  The wire frame itself was quite sturdy, but the box was just on the wrong side of wobbly for me to be happy with, so I cut some board to size, covered them with black velvet then sewed them onto the frame. I did the same to the lid and then attached it to the box. And bygorrah, it fit and everything!


and it opens and closes, too! w00t!




Now I just have to wait and see whether the recipient likes it...

cue music of the nail-chomping variety and fade to black...

5 comments:

Anonymous Sunday 24 August 2008 at 18:51:00 BST  

They would be bonkers not to like it!! In fact if they are that silly I shall be happy to give it a nice home!

Anonymous Sunday 24 August 2008 at 19:57:00 BST  

If the intended recipient doesn't like it, then I would happy to offer it a nice home. Also, I would happy to call them up and tell them how crazy they are!
Thanks for the birthday wishes, job congrats, etc. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. A couple more days and things should settle down somewhat. (As soon as I find out if I got this section leader gig or not.)
How is your illness? Better?

Anonymous Monday 25 August 2008 at 15:23:00 BST  

Very lovely and impressive indeed! (and I was scanning your random books, I noticed Queen of Sorcery. Gak! That series is one of my secret delights!)

Anonymous Tuesday 26 August 2008 at 21:32:00 BST  

This one is SO!!!! Great idea, great done!

Anonymous Saturday 6 September 2008 at 17:03:00 BST  

Love it! So clever of you.

Mair Bloag Weejits

Footerin' Aboot

Footerin' Aboot
Heh! I'm so funny!

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP